I began working as a UX designer while earning my Master’s Degree in Human-Computer Interaction from DePaul University in Chicago. Since then I’ve been involved in all aspects of the design process.
I also have an extensive background as a visual designer, having mastered the essential skills of creative concepting, problem-solving and pushing boundaries.
January 2015 to present
Responsible for the research, design and testing activities involved with creating optimal user experiences for a wide variety of projects.
- Create annotated wireframes & site maps to align stakeholders and inform team members on planned functionality.
- Build prototypes to inform designs and align stakeholders.
- Develop information architectures and system sitemaps.
- Conduct heuristic evaluations.
- Conduct user testing to inform design decisions and uncover usability issues.
- Write and conduct surveys to inform design decisions.
- Conduct interviews to gather qualitative user data.
- Conduct secondary research on target user groups and industries.
- Research and create personas to identify key user groups for which designs much solve for.
- Write user scenarios to clearly define the vision for how a system will work for a user.
- Identify and create visuals to communicate user flows.
Advertising Arts Studio
May 2006 to January 2015
Designed everything from corporate literature pieces to energy drink graphics. I was responsible for everything from the creative concepting to ensure effective design solutions were developed, to production techniques to ensure the concepts came to life properly. Illustration, photo direction, 3D animation and occasional writing were tools I employed to ensure designs were as successful as they were unique.
- Creative concepting
- Photo direction
- 3D animations
Emerald Isle Marketing
Responsibilities included concept development, design and production of a wide variety of print materials. Other duties included press checks, proofreading and occasional writing.
C2 Productivity Solutions
Responsibilities included having efficient capabilities for any temporary design or production needs. Assisted the production team of VSA Partners for the Harely-Davidson catalogs, was the Graphic Designer for the inaugural Taste Of Home Cookbook and Art Director for Birds & Bloom magazine at Reiman Publications.
Master’s Degree in Human-Computer Interaction
DePaul University, Chicago, IL
Bachelor’s Degree in Graphic Design
University of Wisconsin – Stout, Menomonie, WI
Joe Stangarone - SendJoeAMessage@gmail.com - 414.322.7584